Thursday, September 22, 2011

Theatre Experience: WICKED

I'm neither addicted nor obsessed. I'm just an enthusiast. Yes, an enthusiast who finds joy in watching amazing and world-class talents. Maybe you might ask: Is this the only thing I do in my spare time? Hmmmm....To tell you honestly, NO. There are other things that keeps me busy like --- laundry, housekeeping, cooking and etc..(haha...hang-korny!) Kidding aside, I thoroughly plan my DAYS OFF. Prawmis!! It just so happened that the wonderful world of theatre have irresistible offerings this month. The shows are something I shouldn't miss because of its "once in a lifetime chance". (grabeh!) The outstanding reviews of the audience made me vulnerable and weak. I don't tend to squander my muh-nhey but I can't help it. I just can't....haha!

This WICKED experience took two months of planning. Yes, two months -- because of the expensive ticket (price is equivalent to a fortnight grocery spree) and most especially our busssyyyyy schedule (naman!).

Finally, last September 11, I together with my super and overly fabulous buddy evvaaah -- Paowee went to Burswood Theatre to be wicked-fy (is there such word? hehe!!). We were thinking to dress up for the occasion but decided not to push through because we don't want to be highly publicized. (the audience might ask for autograph and pektyur...gosh!!) So, we wore our ordinary pambahay...haha!! Seriously, it was smart casual that feels so comfortable for the whole duration of the play. Scroll down, bebe....tindididing......ayun o!!!


Feels like in a "red carpet" premier ... yikes!!
background story -- a gorgeous and kind stranger took this photo for us...awww!!!

WICKED is a musical, music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz based on the novel written by Gregory Maguire - Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. The story revolves between Elphaba (Idina Menzel) and Galinda, later became Glinda (Kristin Chenoweth). Elphaba is the emerald-green skin girl while Glinda is the most-loved, popular blonde. Their unique features was not a hindrance to their blossoming friendship. Elphaba and Glinda have grown to be the Wicked Witch of the West and the Good Witch from the North, respectively.

I won't really go into the details of the whole play, however, I will share to you what makes it "a must-see-play-at-all-times".

1. The production design was great. The top of the stage had a dragon's head with fierce red eyes that emits smoke from its nose. (That was totally a WOW!!) The stage layout and stage design were beautifully crafted to make it realistic. Ooopsss! I won't forget the lightings that was properly executed to add life to the play....purhfeeecttt!!!



2. The music was soulful. The lyrics can be funny and the so-called "tagos sa puso" effect..haha! I deeply fell in love with the songs -- I'm Not That Girl, As Long As You're Mine, For Good, Defying Gravity and Dancing Through Life. Because of my hangover with the songs, I decided to purchase a WICKED CD. ***please try to listen to their songs...give it a try!!!



3. The main characters Elphaba and Glinda were played by the original stars of the Broadway Musical....isn't it great? Yes...like I said...once in a lifetime chance to watch the original lead stars of the play. The way they exchange their lines and sing their songs were exceptional. Most of the time, they get applauded in between their interactions. But, my personal favourite is Glinda because I could picture her out like the Legally Blonde character..haha! Her lines and characterisation was hysterically funny and rib-tickling.


Idina Menzel as Elphaba

Kristin Chenoweth as Glinda (previously Galinda)

The show ran for almost 4 hours with 20 minutes interval for Act 1 and Act 2. Which lead me to my next point ---- I'm trying to say that prolong sitting will activate the useless leaseholder in my tummy....so, it's CHOW TIME!




Me and Paowee while waiting for our order.

Indeed, WICKED was fantastic, magical, marvellous and superb play. Young and old will definitely enjoy it. This is one of my experiences that I will forever keep in my heart...aawww!!!



~*~manelle~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment