Saturday, September 17, 2011

Theatre Experience: TENDER NAPALM


The first time I saw the poster of Tender Napalm, I got intrigued of the naked couple embracing each other. Several questions crossed my mind, such as: What's the plot of the story? How can two characters run the show? and my ultimate 1 million dollar question is --- Are they going naked on stage? That's why, without hesitation, I immediately searched for forums about the review of the play. Huwaaawww!!! The public gave them good reviews, like: Indeed, controversial yet exciting. The word "controversial" had triggered the inactive neurons in my hypothalamus. Hmmm...the more it heightened the curiosity within me. So, I decided to purchase my ticket online as the only option left because it was like two days before the actual play date.

On the day of the play, I still have to do 7-3 shift. I looked like a "dragged queen" rushing to the venue because it will start around 4pm. My hair was like hit by a tsunami and my nostrils were blown by the strongest wind. Gracious! That 1 hour gap time feels like I was in marathon.

Finally, I arrived at State Theatre 20 minutes before the play commences. I was joyous that it will be in Studio Underground. It was my first time to be in that area so it was an added excitement on my part.
Because of my "pleasantly disaster look", I made sure to fix myself first. Thanks God for powder room! This time I look a bit presentable compare to the first ever theatre experience I had. Eto na! (pagbigyan nyo na!!! minsan lang eh..hehehe)

The 1 km dash I ran was very exhausting. I looked for something to quench my thirst and Bravo! I had a cold glass of Lemon & Lime Bitter before the show started.

When I entered the Studio Underground, I was surprised on the layout. It was a small venue about 70-80 seating capacity. The stage was located in the centre of the audience. The lead stars namely Joshua Brennan and Anna Houston were standing on opposite sides while a heart pounding sound kept on playing. The only thing found in the stage was a bath tub with a faucet. The characters were clad in white tank top, blue trousers and snickers.

Tender Napalm is play written by Phillip Ridley. It is a story of a man and woman who are in love and they hurdle together shortcomings and violence to prove that love truly conquers all. It is not a typical story that is predictable. It has series of turns, twists and flashbacks that keep your mind 100% alert. It will lead you back to the first time they met; the first time they said "I love you"; the problems they went through and the resolution in each problem they dealt. The way the characters exchange their words was very creative and poetic. The opening line was delivered by Brennan, he said,"Your mouth ... it's such a wet thing. I could squeeze a bullet between those lips." I was sincerely impressed on how these two actors portrayed the character. I was a bit apprehensive with the warning that their will be profane language coupled with nudity and sensuality. However, the story itself and the delivery of the actors will not make you think of "BED" but you dwell more on the content of the story. I enjoyed watching their hurling of funny words with some touch of whimsical stories about their own trials. In addition, the couple tried to cope with pain, loss and grief, and the coping mechanisms they utilised to combat it. The acrobatic stunts they did was second of the best things in the play. And lastly, the highlight of the play is the stripping of their clothes on stage and their love scene in the shower. Here are some photos I found online:

The play ended with their opening line, however, it was Houston (the woman) who delivered it. When the lead stars made their final bow in front of the audience, for unknown reason, I was teary-eyed while applauding them. I admire their professionalism in performing their characters. It was extremely a courageous act to flaunt their entire body to the public. They received a standing ovation from us.

I was alone watching the play yet I do love the experience. This will be one of the plays I will never ever forget. This is something extraordinary, something I'm proud to watch it. More to come!!!


~*~manelle~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment